body

Recipe testing - Dr OZ Breakfast Bulgur/bulgar

Banana Bulgar Breakie
with Almonds

If you've read my blog before you know I can't resist trying out strange or unusual recipes.  So when I found one on the Dr Oz show Internet site, I just had to give it a go.

The recipe called for apples and walnuts, which I didn't have.  So I swapped them for Banana and Almonds, that's my excuse anyway.  Nothing to do with me being banana mad. 

I also don't own a microwave, so just added boiling water to cook the Bulgar wheat.   It's a pretty easy and quick to make, so perfect for breakfast.  I mixed 1/2 a mashed banana and a handful of raisins into Bulgar. Then sliced the rest and placed on top, drizzled some syrup and sprinkled  almonds. 

VERDICT

Id definitely make this again, it did make a change from my normal porridge.  I just make a few changes.

- The recipe calls for 1 cup of water too 1/4 cup Bulgar. I felt there was too much water, and after 10 Min's of soaking I had to drain some away.  Next time I'll just use 3/4 cup of liquid.

- Taste wise I think this would be better made with hot soy milk or fruit juice.  Like cous cous Bulgar doesn't have much taste, you need to add flavouring too it. 

- Even with the Banana's and raisins it wasn't sweet enough for me, which is why I added some syrup.  Kind of strange since I don't add sugar to my porridge or other cereals.  It just needed something....

If me you like eating cold rice pudding, then give this recipe ago.  If you don't it might not be the one for you.  I think this is a love or hate recipe xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding