body

Good Mood Food

EAT WELL PLATE


I don't discuss it in every blog post but If you've read my  -About Me page you will know I have a mental health problem.  It's been over 10 years since I was diagnosed with depression and only in the past few years, with an anxiety disorder.  Due to some great therapy and supportive friends and family I try my best to control my mental health problem, and not let the mental health problem control me.

What's this got to do with food?  Well a lot......

I also have IBS and Food intolerance's, which can reduce the amount of nutrients absorbed through my digestive system.   People with depression and other mental health problems have been found to have low levels of essential nutrients and vitamins. 

It was okay for my Doctor to say my low moods can set off my IBS and vice versa, but it helps more to know why.  It's easy to start eating healthy, when you become intolerant to most bad foods.  Pain has that effect.  As a former comfort eating, who reached for the diet coke and chocolate when I was stressed, I have first hand experience that eating more healthy can help both your mental and physical health. 

Eating a healthy diet and getting some exercise can aid in boosting the serotonin levels in the brain.  Basically the good mood nutrients of the brain.  There are plenty good mood food, no matter what diet you follow. Carnivore, vegetarian, vegan or have Food allergy's or intolerances. 


Good Mood Food


 Egg's  - source of protein and vitamin B

 Fish - Cold water fish such as Tuna, Salmon or mackeral are high in omega 3 fatty acids as well as protein.

 Beans, pulses and lentils - great vegetarian/vegan sources of protein

Nuts & seeds - Contain nutrients that boost serotonin levels.

Grains - Whole wheat bread and pasta, Rolled Oats all Aid digestion and give a slow gradual release of enegy through out the day (LOW GI)

Low fat dairy - Low fat cheese, milk and yogurt all have calcium and Vitamin D.  They also contain peptides that promote feelins of well-being and relaxation. 

Non Dairy - Soy milk and yogurt have Calcium and Vitamins added.  I was recomended by my Doctor to also supplement my diet with Calcium and Vitamin D tablets, since I could no longer eat dairy.

Fruit and Veg - Fresh is best, but I find Frozen just as good.  As the fruit and veg are frozen soon they are picked. 



You don't need to avoid the foods you love, just increase the amount of good mood foods that you eat.  Christmas is a stressful busy time with or without mental health problems.  Enjoy your Christmas food, but don't forget to eat your veg xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding