body

Tofu made in Scotland

Engine Shed Tofu

Not a great photo, but believe me this is Scottish Tofu.  Made in Edinburgh at the The Engine Shed, which
comprises of a Vegetarian Cafe, Organic Bakery and Organic Tofu production. The Engine Shed isn't just a commerical enterprise, it's also a training initiative for individuals with learning disabilities.

 Today I was due to visit Edinburgh Dental Hospital, which unfortunetly for me is also nowhere near the Engine Shed.  The next best thing was visiting  Real foods  Store on Brougham Street, which I knew was one of their stockists.

I know most women go to Edinburgh for some retail therapy, not me.  When the list of things you can eat starts getting shorter, you start to look for alternatives.  Iv ordered from Real Foods online store several times but never had an opportunity to visit. Trips to Edinburgh are not my idea of fun!!!! 

The Supermarkets and Health stores in my part of Fife charge over inflated prices for Free From products.  So it was nice to walk around a shop having a look at everything that was available and comparing the prices on different brands of product.  I'm not saying the products are cheap, just fairer value for money. 

It's the Scot's in me again, I like the best value for money.  Buying Agave Nectar from them worked out cheaper than getting it on Amazon, once you included the delivery charge.  Drives me mad when they put a low price on a product to make it look good and charge double the value of it for postage. 

Cooking and Baking Tip. - Shop around.  Look for alternatives.  Or find out if you can make something your self for less than you would buying it. 

 E.g.  I make my own dairy free Pesto.  Some jars cost over £3. I bought a Basil window pot plant , veg oil and instead of nuts I use linseeds to boost my omega 3.     A quick blitz in the food processor and I have a fresh Pesto any time I need it.

Next time your in Edinburgh and you have time, check these places out.  And if you make it to the Engine Shed before I do let me know what you think xxxx



Comments

  1. Engine Shed tofu was great, had it in 2 different meals. Marinated it in chilli soy sauce, spring onions and mushrooms. One meal stir fried with noodles. The other 1/2 I had for lunch next day as a tofu taco. Will definetly be buying this again xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding