body

The great Soda Water experiment


A few of the non-dairy recipes Iv discovered use water as the liquid, rather than non dairy milk.  Freaked me out as the concept was totally alien to me unless I was making yeast free bread.  Hey if you don't try new techniques how are you going to know if they work or not.  In this case it did.  I followed a Vegan carrot cake recipe, using plain tap water.  The final result was a light textured cake. 

I volunteer for the Express Group on Wednesday's mornings,  So I had plenty of unsuspecting volunteers.  The cake was a hit...  I waited till after they had eaten it to tell them that it was dairy and egg free. 

Not happy, i wanted to see if I could make it any better so used orange juice instead of water. The Experiment didn't work,  I ended up with a heavier textured cake. Several days later  I had one of those bizarre satellite relay moments, you know when your thinking about one thing and end up with the answer to an entirely different question.  Soda Water!!!!!

If bicarb helps dairy and egg free cakes to rise, surely using soda water would work as well.  Did a little research and found several weight watcher cheats recipes using cake mix and a can of flavoured soda. 

So gave it a go, so far I've tried it using a couple of different types of cake recipe and it seems to work.


Lemon tea cake

Produces a lovely light airy cake texture, soda water is now one of my fave baking ingredients xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding