body

Insomnia and Chocolate Parsnip cup cakes

Chocolate Parsnip Cake

I often having trouble sleeping, which is down to both my IBS and Anxiety disorder.   So I usually end up sleeping upright on my sofa cover with a blanket.  It's a lot easier than getting frustrated with myself because I can't sleep or switch my brain off from thinking.   This time last year I was lucky to get 2 hours sleep the entire night, so things have greatly improved. 

I can only think that this is the reason I had the mad idea to make a chocolate parsnip cake!!!! Sleep deprivation can do funny things to your mind.  When I get an idea in my head I'm never happy till Iv tried it out, especially after a bad nights sleep. This is probably why most of my baking experiments are carried out at 6am in the morning.   Or 5.45am in this particular case.  (Still wearing my P.J's)

I'd made a spiced parsnip cake before by following my carrot cake recipe and it worked out great.  Parsnip when baked has a wonderful butterscotch vanilla taste to it.  Why wouldn't that pair well with chocolate?  I like using fruit and vegetables when I bake, as it allows me to add sweetness without adding sugar. 

To my total surprise it worked........  the parsnip and spices added, really enhanced the dairy free chocolate cup cakes I made.   So there must be method in my sleep deprived madness.


Chocolate Parsnip Cake     Pre-heat oven too 180 Celsius

1 1/4 cups Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa powder
1/2 cup Caster sugar
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3/4 cup Grated Parsnip
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 cup of Soda Water

Simple recipe to follow, add the ingredients in the order they appear above in the recipe.  Starting with the flour first and adding the soda water last.  This is an all in one method cake, all you need to do is use an electric hand mixer and beat till the batter is smooth.  Roughly takes 2 Min's. 

Add to a prepared tin straight away and bake. This recipe works as a large cake and can be made into cup cakes. 

Time: Large Cake = 40 - 50 Min's
         Cup Cake   = 20-25 Min's


So far Iv baked cakes with carrot's, parsnips, courgette, beetroot, pumpkin and Rhubarb.  Mmmm wonder what I'll try next xxxx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding