body

Cupcake war's - Funny or Die

Banana and Rhubarb Cake



Whenever I have a meal at home I tend to be watching a cooking program.  Call it my own little quirk,on  this particular occasion I was watching  Cup cake Wars Funny or Die Episode.  Love the show, some of the weird combinations the contestant's try are often hilarious. And some times I get idea's for my own baking projects. 

De ja vu time, I'm watching the show planning my own baking for the next day trying to decide what to bake.  I had banana's that needed used and I'd also picked my first crop of Rhubarb from my new plant.

(Didn't find out till later that you shouldn't pick Rhubarb the first year.  Oops)

So just as I was thinking to myself if Banana and Rhubarb would go together, one of the contestants uses the exact same combination for the taste test.  A sign or what!!! Especially since Florian loved the cupcake.  If it's good enough for Florian it's good enough for me.....

Using a mashed Banana cake recipe, I added chopped fresh Rhubarb to the batter.  Then sprinkled cinnamon sugar over the top before baking.

OMG loved the taste, took me straight back to the Traditional Rhubarb and Custard Sweet's/candy that I used to buy per the 1/4 at the local sweet shop, lol.  Even though the cake is dairy free, the banana has a creamy taste similar too custard.  Which contrast great with the sourness of the chopped Rhubarb. 

As always I'm my own worst critic.  I felt the cake could be more moist, and I wasn't to sure of the cinnamon sugar on top.  Need to do a few more baking experiments till I'm happy with this one.  Don't get me wrong it was good, but I know it could be better.

If you give the combination a try let me know how you get on xxxx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding