body

Chia Tea loaf

Chia Tea Loaf


I'd bought Chai Tea last week at Real Foods to give it a try and found I didn't like it.  Not a total waste of time, because unless you try something you'll never know.  Now I know to stick to my Starbucks Chai Tea lattes.  But this still left me with the box of tea.....

I hate anything going to waste, whenever I get a food gift I can't eat, due to my intolerance's, I always find someone to pass it onto.  Just for the life of me couldn't think of anyone that drank Chai Tea.  So in that wonderful way my brain works.  Chai Tea made me think of Tea Loaf,  which reminded me that Tea Loaf is a dairy free recipe.  So Why couldn't I use the Chai Tea in place of normal Tea bags?

I found a Simon Rimmer Tea loaf recipe in one of my old cook books and simplified it.  Being a Budget baker I don't have the money to buy three different types of dried fruit, when I can easily buy one.    I've also adjusted the amount of sugar, since the dried fruit add it's own sweetness to the finished cake.  The original recipe called for 2 tsp's Mixed spice.  I left this out so it wouldn't overpower the Chai Tea flavour.  Next time I think I'll add a few cloves and Cinnamon bark to the tea overnight to give the flavour more punch.  But that's the beauty of home baking, everything is made to your own taste.


Chai Tea Loaf         Temp - 180 Celsius   Time - 1 hr - 1hr 15 Min's

150g Dried Fruit (I used raisins)
300ml Hot water used to brew 2 Chai Tea bags
100g light brown sugar (this recipe is forgiving so use what you have)
200g Self Rising Flour
1 Tbsp Ground Flax seed + 3 Tbsp of boiling water = mix and leave to cool (or 1 egg)

Stage 1. 
- Fruit needs to be soaked in hot tea, preferably over night
- Make Chia Tea in a jug with the hot water and tea bags. 
- Temporarily remove the tea bags and add fruit and sugar.
- mix with tea and place tea bags back on top, cover jug and leave overnight.
- you could also make up your flax seed egg substitute at this point.

Stage 2
 - Pre heat Oven too 180 Celsius, Prepare a greased and lined 1lb loaf tin.
 - Measure out flour into a bowl
 - Add Flax seed mix or egg to the Tea, fruit and sugar.  (take the tea bags out first!!!)
 - Pour into Bowl with flour and mix together 
 - Pour into Loaf tin and place in oven to bake
 - check with toothpick or skewer to see if its bake.
 - Remove from the oven, leave in the tin for 10 Min's then cool on a wire rack. 
    Best cut when cool
            
Not sure if this would work with all Tea's, but knowing me I'm bound to give it a try xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding