body

Baking on budget - Even with a food intolerance

Supermarkets would love us to think that the only way to cope with a food intolerance is to buy expensive  free  from substitutes that they stock there shelf's with.  However vegan's, vegetarians and people with a restricted diet due to religious belief's have been coping since before supermarkets were created.

Lol, I have a tiny kitchen , Limited equipment and a small food budget.  However I still cope, the secret is to make your own food from scratch.  I'v mentioned in previous post's how depressing shopping had become due to all the food labelling I had to check.  I now buy my own ingredients and make my own snacks, yeast free bread and meals without increasing how much I spend on food. 

As a canny Scot I'm always looking for ways to save the pennies, so I plan to share my own tips in the hope that others will share their's.

Today's  Baking Tip.  Invest in Greaseproof paper. 



Instead of buying loaf tin liners or papercases you can make your own and save money.  When making a loaf cake I never line the whole tin.  I find the cake gets caught in the creases and can break when the paper is removed.  Instead I use the base of the tin to measure how wide i need to cut the greaseproof paper.  Rub oil in the tin, this helps the paper stick.  All you then need to do is use a knife to loosen the finished cake then lift out with the greaseproof paper.



Make your own muffin case liners, I make mine 5in by 5in squares.   I fold them in half with the shiny/smooth surface on the inside and place them in my Muffin tins.   This helps create a natural fold that you can then press on, to fit your muffin tin.  The weight of the batter will fill out the cases. 

Give it a try xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding